Vegan Mac & Cheese
3 cups dried macaroni
1 cup peeled, diced yellow potato
1/4 cup peeled, diced carrots
1/3 cup chopped white onion
3/4 -1 cup water (preferably from cooking liquid from veggie pot)
1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked for 1/2 hour to soften
1/4 cup coconut milk
2 TBSP nutritional yeast flakes
1 TBSP lemon juice
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 pinch cayenne pepper
1 pinch paprika
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1) Cook macaroni al dente, according to package instructions (usually requires boiling for 6-8 minutes in salted water), drain, and set aside.
2) Bring several cups of water to boil in a small pot. Place chopped potatoes, carrots, and onion in the boiling water, and cook for about 10 minutes, or until vegetables are tender and soft enough to blend. Cooking time will vary slightly, based on how small you have chopped your veggies.
3) When veggies are soft enough to blend, use a slotted spoon to remove them from cooking water, and place them in your blender. Add 3/4 cup of that cooking water to your blender, along with your remaining ingredients (including cashews), except for the bread crumbs and fresh thyme. Blend until smooth.
4) Preheat oven to 350 deg F.
5) Pour sauce over your cooked macaroni noodles in a dish of your choice. Sprinkle with Vegan bread crumbs.
6) Bake macaroni dish for 10-15 minutes or until bread crumbs are turning golden brown. Sprinkle with fresh thyme & enjoy!